|• Bag Limit.
The fishery regulation varies from time to time, but is limited to no more than 6x rods on the lake and 2x rods on the river.
Anglers are generally permitted to keep any 2 fish of less than 1000gms each, and any 1 fish of over 2000gms per day.
We encourage catch-and-release under appropriate conditions. Small hooks (less than no8) limit fish damage on fish intended for release, and anglers are encouraged to fish barbless hooks on small sizes only.
Release all fish between 1000-2000gms (1 -2 kg). These fish are the prime brood stock and no keepers are permitted. Handle all fish intended for release with extreme care, i.e. do not handle with dry hands, and do not remove fish from water.
• Fly-fishing Clinics
Wolf Avni’s fly-fishing clinics include the following modules :
- Casting techniques and line management.
- Equipment selection, use and maintenance.
- River techniques & still water strategies.
- Entomology - foods recognition, fly selection.
- Basic fly-tying and other techniques.
The river is closed by law from May 15 to August 30, but may remain closed subject to spawning cycles and weather conditions. The lake remains open throughout the year.
• Access to Water.
All accommodation lies a stone’s throw from the lake and access is very easy. The river runs for 18 kilometres through the wilderness around us and access is by foot.
• General Rules & Information.
- Fish only from bank, or float-tube/kickboat, or boats supplied by Giants Cup.
- No wading or swimming is permitted in the lake, but is allowed in the river.
- No electric or power motors are permitted on the water.
- Kickboats and float tubes welcome, but no private fixed-hull craft are permitted.
- Rowboats are available for hire.
Access is strictly in accordance with the fishery regulations in place at the time. The farm is a registered ‘Site Of Conservation Significance’ and as such, the usual conservation regulations are strictly enforced i.e.
- hunting, picking of plants, disturbing of wildlife.
- vehicular access into the wilderness.
- firearms or shooting.
- fires except in designated braai areas.
- vehicular access on or around the farm and surrounding wilderness areas.
- littering, including cigarette ends, fishing line, etc.
- fishing with tackle other than approved fly-fishing tackle
- access into the KZN Wildlife Drakensberg Park (which entirely surrounds the farm) without a KZN Wildlife entry permit.
Please leave boats as you would wish to find them.
Users are responsible for the anchor, oars, rowlocks and other fittings.
No stocking is done in the lake, as the system is entirely self-stocking from natural recruitment and wild spawning in the Umzimkulwana River. This is unique in the South African context and the system needs to be protected. Accordingly these regulations are strictly enforced, not to impinge upon the freedom of the angler, but to protect the system where it is most vulnerable.
All anglers must fill in the catch return book daily, including zero returns. One line per day, per angler.
Rod tickets are available to guests and permit holders to fish from one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset.
All anglers must be in possession of a Giants Cup Wilderness rod ticket. A maximum of 6 tickets per day is issued.
All rights reserved by Management.